Filesystem backup is a most basic protection level for every system. With filesystem backup I can select particular folder or file to be backup. For restore, I can choose particular folder or file to restore.
If user reported the folder or file is missing or corrupted from the system, administrator can restore the specific folder or file as per request. This will speed up the recovery process where only effected folder or file is restore.
- Menu > Jobs > Create Backup Job.
- Below show the parameter that need to fill in before I can create a backup job.
Note: For organization, it is good to have backup request form. All the information is fill up by the server/application administrator and submit to the backup administrator. This form is record for organization where the list of selection folder or file to backup and how long the backed up that will be keep in the organization. Time to time the backup list and retention need to review so that it match with the server/application Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and most importantly the folder or file that need for recovery is available during the disaster happen.
- At the Job Name,
- Enter the Job Name that describe the backup that we want to do.
- Example: AD01 Filesystem Backup Weekly Full
- At the Selection,
- click + icon.
- Expand the AD01 > File System > Fixed Drives > C:\
- Select the folder or file that need to protect.
- In this example I will select folder Users.
- Set Name for the selection.
- Click Save.
- At Plugin Options,
- Click + icon.
- Backup Method set to Snapshot Based.
- Backup Type set to Full.
- The rest option I left it as default.
- Set Name for the Plugin Options.
- Click Save.
- At Schedule Options, I set the value is Immediate.
- At Target Storage,
- Click + icon.
- Expand the Device Selection > Select Specify devices > Select NVBU VTL.
- Expend the Media Options
- Target Media By – Media in group. Set the label to VTL.
- Reuse Media – With the same group label as target media.
- Media Request Timeout – 30 Minutes.
Note: Media Options is important part because in this section I can categorize the tape from VTL for specific group. Example I have tape group for file system, database or application. This will split the content of the tape. Since I have limited tape, I just group it as VTL.
Note: Media Request Timeout is a amount of time for backup job waits for the backup media. If the media is not available within the specified interval, the job is automatically aborted.
- At Advanced Options, I use the Default Advanced Backup Options. By default, the backed up data will no discard.
- Review the Backup Job and click Save & Submit. The backup job will run the backup process immediate (base on schedule option).
- Check on Backup Job Status. Menu > Monitoring > Job Status.
- Below show the backup is complete with 148.44 MiB (155.65 MB) data.
Cool! The file system backup job created and tested running fine.