I need to configure inbound and outbound for NetVault Backup Communication. Since backup required number of ports for communication, I will create firewall rules on Windows Firewall for client and backup server.
For client firewall rules, I will allow all ports but limit to the Remote IP (Destination IP) which is the backup server on client. This to make sure only backup server is allow to used all the ports for backup and restore activity.
Fore backup server firewall rules, I will allow all ports but limit to the Remote IP (Destination IP) by using IP Segment (192.168.0.0/24). This will covered all the communication from all the client in that segment.
Note: Disable the Windows Firewall is not recommended.
- From Start Menu, type firewall and click on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
- At Inbound Rules, click New Rule…
- Select the Port and click Next.
- Select TCP and All local ports. Click Next.
- Select Allow the connection and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Enter the Name and click Finish.
- After the rules created, right click on it and click Properties.
- Click on Scope and enter the Remote IP address of the backup server.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Repeat the process for Inbound UDP, Outbound TCP and Outbound UDP on client and backup server.
- Make sure the Remote IP address is point to the NetVault Backup Server.
- Below show the Inbound Rules created on client.
- Below show the Outbound Rules created on client.
- Below show the Inbound Rules created on backup server.
- Below show the Outbound Rules created on backup server.